Creating folders in Google Drive is an essential strategy to help better organize your Google Drive. TigerTech recommends creating specific folders for specific topics rather than general titles for general topics. For example, a certain topic such as a project done in chapter eight, should have its own folder according to the topic under chapter eight.
- Go to your Google Drive page by going to: drive.google.com.
- To create a new folder, click on the big red button that says “New” on the left side of your screen
3. Click on “Folder.”
4. You will now get an option to name your folder. Name your folders by starting off with something general down to something specific. Such as, AP Biology → Chapter 1.
Color-Code Your Folders
Color-coding your folders can be used to help you organize your folders with easy-to-navigate type of way.
- Right-Click on the folder you’d wish to color-code.
Move your mouse down the menu and select “Change color” and then choose whatever color you wish to color-code your folder.
3. After repeating this process a couple times, you can end up with something like this:
How to Rename Your Files and Folders
It’s important to properly named your files and folders. Useful naming conventions can make it easier to locate files throughout your Google Drive in the long run. Make sure to use proper capitalization and spelling to prevent any error in the future.
Right-Click on the file you’d like to rename. Click on the “Rename” option.
2. You will now see this window pop up. Type in what you’d like to rename the file to and click on “OK”
How to Star Your Files
Starring your files can help you to organize them to make them easier to find.
- You can star folders or documents to find them easier.
2. You can add stars by clicking on your document that you would like to add a star to.
3. Then click on the three dots at the top right corner, which will bring you to a drop-down menu
4. Finally, click on “Add star” to add a star. There should now be a little star to the side of your document.
5. You can see which items you’ve added a star to by going to the “Starred” section on the left side of the screen
Changing Your View
You can change your view to make it easier to read and navigate files.
To do this, click on the small grid on the top right corner of your screen:
Grid View List View